Strange output file size increase (compared to NVE)

MerleOne

New member
Hi all,

I just came across strange phenomenon in the following situation :

I use to record on my DVD burner TV shows such as Alias (I am using a Yamaha DRX2). I usually extract the main VOB file with DVD Decrypter, insert the VOB into NeroVisionExpress (NVE) which has some basic edition capabilities and extract the mpeg2 file corresponding to the recorded episode; after I have removed the ads.

NVE has a "smart encoding mode" that avoids re-encoding, when the source is already DVD compliant, which is the case here. So extracting a 40mn show takes 5 mns or so. And the resulting file is 1GB big.

So it's very easy to fit 4 episodes on a single Data DVD (stil in mpeg files mode).

I have tried to replace NVE with VRD after the DVD decrypter initial extraction. The strange thing is that with the same initial VOB, the same section of the VOB, the mpeg2 file extracted by VRD is 1.4 GB big. So I cannot any longer put 4 of them on a single Data DVD.

Is there a way to keep the output file 1GB big without sacrificing quality ? I would really prefer to use VRD than NVE for the editing.

Thanks.

.Merle.
 

Danr

Administrator
Staff member
Uncheck all the check boxes in "Output Stream Parameters".

Also, you might want to try running QuickStream Fix on the file before editing if the source is a VOB.

I find it hard to understand how we could be adding 40% to overall file length unless you have GOP reduction on and set to a very, very low value.
 

MerleOne

New member
I tried as you proposed (all options unchecked in output stream, no GOP reduction in the save option). The output file is still over 1.4GB ! I am really lost !

.Merle1.
 

MerleOne

New member
Even weirder : if I now input the VRD processed file into NVE, after analysis, the footprint on the DVD to be mastered is back to 1GB. If I then export the file to an mpeg file from NVE, the output is 1GB.

Hope this will help to track you what happens !
 

Danr

Administrator
Staff member
You'll have to upload a 5-10mb clip of the original VOB to our ftp site: ftp://upload:upload@videoredo.net

Please post a message after the upload and we will take a look at the file and sequence. Also, which build of VideoReDo are you using?
 

timdg

New member
FYI: The Smart/Auto encoding in Nero Vision Express converts all the audio to AC3 unless you specifically choose LPCM. What is your source audio?
 

MerleOne

New member
I think it's LPCM, since the Yamaha DRX2 uses this format in 1h/DVD and 2h/DVD modes.

Since the show is around 40 min long, I guess 40min LPCM is around 400 MB, hence the difference.

Seems a good explanation. However I'll upload anyway the extracted part...
 

MerleOne

New member
Hi,

Just to tell you that I just uploaded a 10 MB extract from the original VOB file. It's in the MerleOne folder.

Best regards,
 

jean

New member
hi MerleOne,

I never found a way to prevent NVE from doing some recoding (video or
audio) even if my source material is DVD compilant - and as far support
told me there is no way to do so (it has settings for several quality options,
but no setting for "no recoding"). So maybe your file size problem is (partly)
due to the fact that NVE recodes the material?

Jean
 

MerleOne

New member
Hi Jean,

Actually it really depends on which version of NVE you have : with the lastest version (3.1.0.7), if I select Smartencode option and leave all video parameters to automatic, it doesn't reencode video. If I uncheck "smartencode", it does reencode the video. In some case where audio is out of sync, it has proven useful, but I generally try to avoid it.
 

Danr

Administrator
Staff member
MerleOne, Can you please upload again. Looks like someone delete all the files on the site.
 

Danr

Administrator
Staff member
The audio in the source VOB is LPCM. NVE is compressing it, using AC3, which is the reason for the size difference.

The net result is you still shouldn't have any problems fitting 4 programs onto a DVD. Edit with VideoReDo and then let NVE compress the audio down further at authoring time.
 

Danr

Administrator
Staff member
I've looked at all the files you've uploaded both pre and post editing. They all play fine in VideoReDo, WMP and Winamp.

As I've said many time on this board, WMP (and also Winamp) are not good diagnostic tools because they use 3rd party MPEG2 decoders. Whatever happens to be installed on your system.

I suggest using another play or find a different set of decoders.

However, please let me know if you have a circumstance where pre-editing the file displays properly and post editing it doesn't. Then that would be of great interest.
 
Top Bottom