Problems Editing Ripped DVD Content

smaye

New member
You might want to try an alternative extraction method. It looks like frames are out of sequence.

It should not be necessary to use vob2mpg. VideoReDo can QuickStream Fix a VOB.

Yes, it seems the problem is that it was extracted that way. The puzzling thing is that even with the huge load time VRD can play the VOB without any issues. I tried using QSF. The QSF file also had the hiccup in MSP.

Seems the only thing I have done that works is saving the mpg in VRD, but the compression kills the PQ.

I tried looking for settings reduce this, but found nothing that helped. Is there something I can do to tell VRD to use 0% compression?
 

Anole

Moderator
One thing I am having a problem understanding is no matter what I do I can not seem to avoid compressing the file. I mentioned this above in a previous reply.

When going through VRD I went from 0% compression to 65% compression. As I was creating the clip in MSP I just uploaded I set compression to highest quality and checked smartrender. The result was a file with 42% compression.

Maybe I am wrongly associating degrading PQ with compression, but I do see a significant difference between the original at 0% and the others at 42% and 65% compression. Is there no way to avoid this?
VideoReDo does -not- compress anything.
I believe the problem lies with the tools you are using.
Try what Phd has suggested, above, and I'm sure you'll have better luck.
 

smaye

New member
VideoReDo does -not- compress anything.
I believe the problem lies with the tools you are using.
Try what Phd has suggested, above, and I'm sure you'll have better luck.
Hi Anole,

I thought VRD would not compress anything either, but I can not explain why I can take a clip from the original VOB2MPG in MSP. Check the properties and it shows 0% compression. The picture is perfect (except for hiccups)

Take the VOB and make an MPG with VRD. Place this in MSP and check properties to show 65%. The picture is notably less clear.

Just can not explain it.

Maybe is is a function of a bad rip. I will try an alternative ripping program.
 

phd

Super Moderator
Also, be aware of a couple of items with MSP. I am not an expert but check it out.

1. MSP7 was released around the time Ulead began supporting AC3 so its implementation may not be perfect. (I cannot set AC3 in the project settings and only have AC3 as an export option.)

When you click play preview, MSP is rerendering your clip to match the project settings in order to play it. When you click view source, that is the original file.

2. It was also around the time they switched to the new MPEG.NOW codec from their old codec so implementation may have been a little rocky.
 

Lester Burnham

New member
I don't think it's vob2mpg that's causing you a problem, and I understand why you would use it at that stage - I suspect it's something that's gone awry in your ripping.
 
Last edited:

smaye

New member
Thanks, Lester. I will update my Ripit4me again. I found a work around. As much as I hated to do it I re-encoded with TMPGEnc. It worked fine after that and the degradation was very slight.

I have more ripping to do. I will make sure I have the latest release.

Thanks.
 
Top Bottom