HDTV files generated by VideoRedo and WM Encoder

ldavis

New member
Guys,

I am evaluating your software and am thur far impressed. Currently I am using SageTV as the source for HD and SD files(both recorded in mpg format). The problem I am about to describe is only with HD files. I use VideoRedo to cut commericals out of the HD files but when I try to use WM Encoder, the video will not encode (only audio). Now, I am sure this is problem with the WM Encoder since other encoders work for these files and other players will play back the file properly. Any suggestions as to how to fix this problem.
 

bits

New member
ldavis said:
Guys,

I am evaluating your software and am thur far impressed. Currently I am using SageTV as the source for HD and SD files(both recorded in mpg format). The problem I am about to describe is only with HD files. I use VideoRedo to cut commericals out of the HD files but when I try to use WM Encoder, the video will not encode (only audio). Now, I am sure this is problem with the WM Encoder since other encoders work for these files and other players will play back the file properly. Any suggestions as to how to fix this problem.
I know this will sound odd but Windows Media Encoder does like mpeg files. I had this problem and Googled it. If I remember correctly Microsoft comes right out and says that it does not handle mpeg files. I ended up buying Procoder Express but I am sure there are other apps that you could use to conver to WMV.

This link may help:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/encoder/faq.aspx#8_2
 
Last edited:

ldavis

New member
I understand what MS is saying about having 3rd party decoders on your computer. The thing is that I do have those 3rd party decoders. The video will play back - just not in WMP. There is something it does not like about my decoders.
 

bits

New member
ldavis said:
I understand what MS is saying about having 3rd party decoders on your computer. The thing is that I do have those 3rd party decoders. The video will play back - just not in WMP. There is something it does not like about my decoders.
I was in the same boat...got tired of trying stuff...did not want to hose my system for what did work so I took the easy path... and found something else to do mpeg2 conversion to WMV. There is nothing special about Widows Media Encoder. I am pretty sure you can find a freeware app, videohelp.com is a good place to look.
 

ldavis

New member
bits said:
I was in the same boat...got tired of trying stuff...did not want to hose my system for what did work so I took the easy path... and found something else to do mpeg2 conversion to WMV. There is nothing special about Widows Media Encoder. I am pretty sure you can find a freeware app, videohelp.com is a good place to look.

I'd be real happy to see a freeware wmv encoder but I think that MS changes a fee for this so a doubt that it exists. I would love to have both of these programs but based on my usage the cost of VideoRedo would be all I would be willing to bear. Virtualdub can be used to create AVI files that utilize the WM codec. There are actaully some advantages of this apporach since the audio AC3 file is directly copied into the resulting AVI. The negative of this is that I have had some issues with audio sync in the past.
 

Anole

Moderator
ZJmedia has several low cost products, based on their converter engine.
I use WinAVI for a number of other duties, but it also supports WVM and AC3.
(It will also make the required files to burn a DVD, but I use a bigger hammer for that function)
I think the trial version might be time limited and watermark your output, but I found it desirable enough to spend the $30
Elsewhere on this forum, there is a discussion of other similar products.
 
Last edited:

bits

New member
ldavis said:
I'd be real happy to see a freeware wmv encoder but I think that MS changes a fee for this so a doubt that it exists. I would love to have both of these programs but based on my usage the cost of VideoRedo would be all I would be willing to bear. Virtualdub can be used to create AVI files that utilize the WM codec. There are actaully some advantages of this apporach since the audio AC3 file is directly copied into the resulting AVI. The negative of this is that I have had some issues with audio sync in the past.
Maybe that is why I ended up buying Procoder Express ($60). In the end I gave up on WMV because encoding is so slow and since buying a few large HDs I no longer have a need to reduce file size....oh and I have no handheld video devices.

BTW I am a big user and fan of VRD.

If you know how to use avs scripts this might work: http://nic.dnsalias.com/wm9enc.html
 
Last edited:
Top Bottom