H264 to H265 recode "Failed"

cp2

Member
I am increasingly using V6 rather than V5.
I decided to recode an existing H264 file into H265 but with a bit rate I set myself, 3,500 rather than leave it to VideoRedo. I also carried out the same conversion using Handbrake for comparison purposes.
The first thing I noticed was Handbrake got the processor activity up into the high 90s (I noticed thanks to the fan kicking in like a snow blower and then used Task Manager to see the CPU activity). In contrast VideoRedo was around 30%. I'm assuming that this is down to the default setting in advanced options limiting resizing being only to use 2 threads but as this is yet another area of ignorance for me I could be wrong.
I used QSF and the batch managerto process the file and it duly crunched through it with an eventual status of "Failed". However, the reported playback length was the same as the original file, the file size was comparable to the Handbrake effort and it played back OK as far as I could see.
I attach the log: hopefully it will shed some light on it.
 

Attachments

Last edited:

Danr

Administrator
Staff member
Hi cp2, A few items from the log:

1. VideoReDo was probably 30% because you specified Intel QuickSync encoding. This off-loads the encoding to the GPU. a) Did you look at the GPU % busy in the task manager performance tab. b) Did you use QuickSync with HB or software encoding?
2. I'm more concerned about the batch failure as I don't see anything in the log that would indicate there was a failure. Output completed as intended.
 

cp2

Member
I selected Intel QuickSync for both HB and VR. Task manager reported GPU processing around 80% in both cases. HB processed the file a lot quicker which indicates that all that CPU activity was doing something. I have an i7-700 processor and 16GB RAM.
As I ran in through the batch manager the i button message is still there.
2552
I've also attached the HB log in case that helps.
 

Attachments

Last edited:

cp2

Member
I'm using the latest beta. I've just run the a file through the same profile using the batch manager, one directly into the batch manager the other via QSF. I got the Failed message again with QSF but not with the direct version. Both versions played back OK. Interestinlgy (maybe) the QSF run rendered a slightly larger file.
14/06/2019 21:03 23,574,260 cats glitch test (02).ts
14/06/2019 21:01 23,393,592 cats glitch test.ts
 
Last edited:
Top Bottom