A question about the split feature in V6

nlkelly

New member
hi; i need to split out several sections (individual shows) from a recording of several shows played back to back. I tried the split feature and i noticed that the start of each resulting "split" sections starts into the show by several seconds. As a test, i found a smpte time code video 1 hour long (@29.97fps). I loaded the sample and set the scene cut points at 20:00:00 and 40:00:00 and then split the file to get a 20 minute file. the resulting file shows as 20:00 under window information . when i load the resulting file into VRD the smpte code on the first frame is showing 20:25:08 and the end is 40:00:00. VLC wont run the file and windows movie maker shows the file as unplayable. If i do a "quick stream fix" on the 20 minute file, it comes back with a length of 19:34:22 (this is also displayed now in the windows length as well. i looked for any kind of padding and i don't see anything turned on. What am i doing wrong? Thanks for you help - update edited for my mess up of seconds vs minutes
 
Last edited:

nlkelly

New member
I messed up the scale. the sample with the smpte code is 1 hour long not 1 minute long. where i say seconds it should be minutes. Sorry about the confusion. i updated the inital post to reflect the correct time scale. The video i'm using to test is 30 frames per second.
 
Last edited:

Danr

Administrator
Staff member
Use beta build 810 and if you still have the problem send the log file to support and we can take a look at what's going on.
 

nlkelly

New member
i'll try to get some time tonight to try it on my system so i can use the latest beta build. can you point me to an example of supplying the log file ( how to zero it out, turn it on , find it after the activityis logged and upload it ) ? Thanks
 

nlkelly

New member
OK from home. i downloaded the latest beta (6.60.6.810) and installed it. I ran a quick stream fix on the 1 hr long original file ( no errors or frames removed). in cut mode i set the start at 00:20:00:00 and the end point at 00:40:00:00. The individual frames have the actual smpte code displayed as 00:20:00:00 and 00:40:00:00. pressed add selection, then save video, then from the drop down of the save button , picked save with split scenes ( i kow i only have one "scene" selected but i get the same shorter segments whether i have one scene or more than one. The end result is a file listed under windows as 00:20:00 and under videoredo, the start of the file is 00:00:00:00 and the end is 00:19:34:22. The very first displayed frames has 00:20:25:08 in it. The last frame has 00:40:00:00 displayed. the log is attached.
 

Attachments

Danr

Administrator
Staff member
The log file doesn't show any cuts at all, are you sure it's from the same day you did the test? Also, on the Tools>Options>General page, make sure the diagnostic setting is "medium".

Also, easiest way to send us the log file is to upload it directly to us via the Help menu.

Thanks.
 

nlkelly

New member
Hi. I changed the location of the log file just before i loaded and "cut" the sample smpte file so the data in the log shouold reflect that activity. there was only the one file in the new directory and and it had the correct time and date. will try again tonight and send results. Thanks for your help.
 

nlkelly

New member
hi, it's small. i uploaded it with videoredo app using the title of this thread and my email. i erased the file before i ran videoredo so the file should only have the specific single operation ("scene" from 00:20:00:00 to 00:40:00:00). the log file is on my home system. i will resend it again and upload it here as well tonight when i get home. i'm also going to try the cut mode ( which is what i normally use to trim the ends of recorded files off - only just now using scene mode to strip out several sections of a very large file ) and see if the cut points are correct in trim mode vs scene mode. i've used VRD in "cut mode" for years without any issue so i assume it has to do with "scene mode". Thanks for your help.
 
Top Bottom